We are looking for a dedicated and passionate individual to provide leadership abilities as a Volunteer Member of the Board of Directors. Directors are accountable for the monitoring and oversight of the organization’s performance goals, ensuring financial accountability and providing feedback and guidance to the CEO.
Helping Hands is a not-for-profit, charitable organization providing community support services, primarily to older adults living in Orillia, Barrie and Muskoka regions. Founded in 1974, Helping Hands provides various services including personal care, caregiver relief, homemaking, transportation, meal delivery, friendly visiting, telephone reassurance, Transitional Bed services and other social programs.
With a growing workforce and strong volunteer base, Helping Hands is expanding its impact on and support of the healthcare system and the local communities it serves. We provide a dynamic and innovative work environment, one that supports our employees’ professional growth and desire to serve the community.
Currently, we have openings for the rewarding opportunity of being a Volunteer on the Board of Directors. This will be a great experience to work with experienced professionals and share your skills and knowledge helping to guide an organization that is making a difference in the community. This position is ideal for a practicing or retiring lawyer looking to volunteer and serve their community. This opportunity will also allow current law students or individuals starting a career in law to gain valuable experience on how a Board operates, while giving back to the community.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Desired Attributes
- Proven leadership experience and abilities
- Understanding of Board Governance Policies
- A general understanding of the following areas is an asset: Labour Relations, Public Affairs, Labour Law, Strategic Business Planning, Sociology, Health Care Administration, Finance and Accounting, etc.
- Preference given to those with a background in Fundraising or Healthcare
- Skills and experience utilizing team building approaches
- Excellent verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills
- Positive and proactive attitude with good professional judgement
- Strong work ethic with meticulous attention to detail and highly organized
- Knowledge and understanding of privacy and confidentiality laws
- Applicants must be at least 18 and must reside or work in the North Simcoe Muskoka Local Health Integration Network. (or reside in Helping Hands catchment area)
Hours: This position comes with a time commitment of about 2 hours/month in the evening for Board Meetings as well as occasional time devoted to emails and minor follow-up activities outside of meeting times.
Location: Orillia Main Office
Term: 2 year terms with opportunities to extend terms through re-election
Please forward to resume to Alex Kuczak, Director of Human Resources: firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to ensuring equal and full participation for all applicants during the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.