Helping Hands is leading the way in community support services; creating a culture of change through innovative collaborations and initiatives to improve client care and develop fresh ideas, in our sector. We provide a supportive work atmosphere, focused on continuing education, teamwork, and personal growth. We offer flexible hours, competitive wages, benefits, mileage, and paid travel time.
If you are looking for the opportunity to support older adults and adults with physical disabilities in our community and enable them to live independently in their own homes, then join our Helping Hands team!
We are currently recruiting for the following positions:
Job Title: Personal Support Worker (Unionized Position)
Location: Orillia and Couchiching Region; Muskoka Region. This position will require travel from one client’s home to another
Shift: A variety of shifts may be required including days, evenings, nights, holidays, and weekends.
Wages: $22.78/hr. (Includes a base of $19.78/hr. from Helping Hands, plus a $3/hr. Wage Enhancement as long as the government program is in effect)
The Personal Support Worker (PSW) will work cooperatively and professionally with other healthcare providers, other agency staff, and Helping Hands staff to provide personal support services to clients, as directed by the organization. Personal support services include but are not limited to bathing, dressing, and grooming clients, emptying bedpans, and toiletry duties. Other responsibilities will include preparing meals, serving meal trays, aiding in feeding clients, making beds, and housekeeping the client’s living spaces or areas. Housekeeping services include but are not limited to, dusting, vacuuming, and mopping, limited pet care, laundry, bathroom cleaning, and disinfection duties.
The Personal Support Worker will also assist clients in their daily activities, and physical exercise, and will move clients in wheelchairs or other mobility aids. This role will support organizational policies and procedures, health and safety initiatives, and client needs. The PSW will ensure all administrative functions are conducted in a timely and efficient manner, meeting all organizational requirements concerning deadlines and policies/procedures, including submitting accurate timesheets, assessments, incident reports, and other documentation. This position is required to report any issues, concerns, and activities to their supervisor in a timely fashion and to support the department in any way needed to meet client needs.
- A PSW or DSW Certification or equivalent from a recognized institution; or a post-secondary education in Social Service Work (SSW); or a minimum of 2 years’ experience in a Supportive Care/PSW role
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Maintain a current First Aid/CPR, class C or HCP level Certification, or greater
- Maintain own current driver’s license (G or equivalent)
- A Driver’s Abstract clear of uninsurable convictions
- Maintain own operable and appropriate vehicle
- Maintain own auto insurance policy with a minimum of $1,000,000 liability coverage with a 6A endorsement (permission to carry passengers for compensation)
- Current, clean criminal record check including vulnerable sector check
- Certification in food safety awareness is considered an asset
- Computer proficiency, with knowledge of assessment software
- Proven ability to multi-task, prioritize and work in a fast-paced work environment
- Must have the ability to plan, organize, develop, implement, and interpret the existing and new programs, goals, objectives, policies, procedures, etc.
- Ability to work well independently
- Awareness and respect for the cultural diversity of clients
- Knowledge and sensitivity to individuals with disabilities and disorders
- High level of integrity, confidentiality, and accountability.
- Able to provide proof of full Covid-19 vaccination status
Description of Duties and Authority:
- Protect and promote the welfare, dignity, and individual rights of our clients at all times
- Provide personal care duties, as assigned
- Adhere to the goals, policies, and aims of Helping Hands in all activities
- Conduct Home at Last (HAL) functions and duties, as instructed
- Provide housekeeping duties, as assigned; ensure the client’s surroundings and personal effects are clean, tidy, and serviceable
- Take the client’s blood pressure and temperature
- Assist with medication cueing, ensuring proper tracking and documentation
- Ensure safety protocols and procedures are adhered to at all times; promote safe work activities by participating in safety initiatives, training, and attending safety meetings, as needed. This may also include acting as the Employee Safety Representative for the organization
- Participate in regular training modules
- Adhere to Scope of Practice as a PSW
- Any other duties, as assigned
Total Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive Wages
- Paid Orientation
- Benefits Package
- Paid out-of-town mileage at $0.50/km, in addition to paid travel time
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Please apply by sending your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org