Helping Hands Job Call:
Personal Support Worker – Transitional Bed Sites Full-Time Day and Night Shifts
Helping Hands is leading the way in community support services; creating a culture of change through innovative collaborations and initiatives to improve client care and develop fresh ideas, in our sector. We provide a supportive work atmosphere, focused on continuing education, teamwork, and personal growth. We offer flexible hours, competitive wages, and group benefits.
If you are looking for the opportunity to support older adults and adults with physical disabilities in our community and enable them to live independently in their own homes, then join our Helping Hands team!
We a currently recruiting for the following positions:
Job Title: Personal Support Worker. Two openings are available. This is a unionized position.
Job Type: Permanent, Full-Time
Location: Orillia and Area Transitional Bed Locations. This will require working in more than one location.
Shift: There are opportunities for both a day shift and a night shift, however a variety of shifts may be required including days, evenings, nights, holidays, and weekends. The shifts are 12 hours in length.
Compensation: Starting wage $16.91 per hour.
In response to the COVID 19 pandemic, we also offer the government provided temporary $3/hr wage increase. This temporary increase will remain in effect contingent on funding by the provincial government.
The Attendant Care/Personal Support Worker (PSW) will work cooperatively and professionally with other healthcare providers, other agency staff, and Helping Hands staff to provide personal support services to clients, as directed by the organization. Attendant Care/Personal support services include but are not limited to bathing, dressing, and grooming clients, emptying bedpans, and toiletry duties. Other responsibilities will include preparing meals, serving meal trays, and providing assistance in feeding clients, making beds, and housekeeping clients’ living spaces or areas. Housekeeping services include but are not limited to, dusting, vacuuming and mopping, limited pet care, laundry, bathroom cleaning, and disinfection duties.
The ACW/PSW will also assist clients in their daily activities, physical exercise, and will move clients in wheelchairs or other mobility aids. The ACW/PSW will ensure all administrative functions are conducted in a timely and efficient manner, meeting all organizational requirements concerning deadlines and policies/procedures, including submitting accurate timesheets, assessments, incident reports, and other documentation. They will report any issues, concerns, and activities to their supervisor in a timely fashion and to support the department in any way needed to meet client needs.
Helping Hands is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to ensuring equal and full participation for all applicants during the recruitment and selection process.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- A PSW Certification or greater from a recognized institution, or a minimum of 2 years experience in an Attendant Care/PSW role
- 1 year or greater experience in Site-Based Personal Support Work is an asset
- Current First Aid/CPR, class C or HCP level Certification, or greater
- A Driver’s Abstract clear of uninsurable convictions
- Reliable vehicle
- Current, clean criminal record check including vulnerable sector check
- Awareness and respect of cultural diversity of clients
- Knowledge and sensitivity to individuals with disabilities and disorders
- High level of integrity, confidentiality, and accountability.
- Must have strong communication abilities both written and verbal in English
- Ability to work independently problem solve as issues arise
- Understanding of Conflict Resolution and Gentle Persuasive Approach, with the ability to put them into practice with clients and co-workers as needed.
- Preference will be given to candidates with proficiency in the French language
- Able to provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination, or willing to participate in routine rapid antigen testing
575 West Street S., Unit 13A
Orillia, ON. L3V 7N6