Give back to your community and help others by volunteering for our Meals on Wheels program! Full training and mileage reimbursement is provided.
The Meals on Wheels Driver/Runner is responsible for delivering and/or serving meals to clients of Helping Hands. The position will also be responsible for loading meals and equipment into vehicles, according to established procedures. This is considered to be a support position to the Manager of Administration and Transportation. Therefore, this position is required to report any issues, concerns, and activities to the Manager of Administration and Transportation in a timely fashion and to support the department in any way needed to meet client needs.
Description of Duties and Authority
- Protect and promote the welfare, dignity, and individual rights of our clients, at all times;
- Adhere to the goals, policies, Mission, Vision and Value of Helping Hands, in all activities;
- Loads prepared meals and equipment into the vehicle, according to established procedures;
- Delivers meals to clients’ homes providing door to door service;
- Collects and returns equipment to a central location (Tammie’s Restaurant);
- Communicates routine information received from clients to the Manager of Administration and Transportation;
- Follows all administrative and operational policies and procedures, including PPE directives;
- Brings to the attention of the Manager of Administration and Transportation (or other available Manager) any incidents, complaints, and/or accidents to the organization. Such issues are to be reported immediately or as soon as practical;
- Reports monthly KM’s to the Manager of Administration and Communication
- Participates in meetings/training annually as directed by Management.
- Engages in the HH communication portal regularly (at least once per week);
- Any other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Qualifications
- Caring, friendly and patient attitude;
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Requires lifting of up to 30 pounds;
- Ability to work well under pressure;
- Requires travel to clients’ homes, therefore must have access to an operational provincially inspected vehicle;
- High level of integrity, confidentiality, and accountability;
- Clean criminal record check including Vulnerable Sector Check;
- Clean driving abstract;
- Valid driver’s license and appropriate vehicle insurance.
Note: The above is a general list of duties and expectations. It is subject to change and may not represent a comprehensive list of tasks this volunteer may perform.
Due to the changing nature of the Organization’s role and relationship with funders, the duties and responsibilities of this position may change, from time to time, necessitating the delegation of other related duties within the Organization.
This position is created and maintained within the Organization through program funding through the Government of Ontario. The continuation of this position within the Organization is dependent on continued funding through the Government of Ontario.